If you have to make a telephone payment with a company that isn’t offering payments Secured by Semafone, we recommend following a few simple safeguards:
- Shop with retailers you know or research them first to ensure they are reputable and reliable
- Don’t speak your card details in a place where they may be overheard e.g. on public transport, in a restaurant, or even in an office…
- Keep a record of your telephone payments, including the retailer’s website address. Many contact centres send customers emails summarising the purchase details – make sure you save or print these
- Check the retailer’s website to see how they handle and process your card payments. If you aren’t reassured by what you read, contact them to ask!
- Ask for your agent’s name and make a note of it in case you have queries later on
- Check your credit card and bank statements regularly